This is an exciting opportunity for a Full-stack PHP developer to join our growing software development team in our Derby studio.
Burnthebook are a creative web design and development team with a reputation for creating digital experiences for our clients, connecting brands to their customers. We have a top-tier client list which includes SEGA, The United Nations, Camp America, The World Economic Forum and many more. Our studio is an exceptional working environment with enthusiastic, innovative and inspiring team members at its heart. If you’re a motivated problem solver with good teamwork skills and want to accelerate your professional growth, then we would love to hear from you!
As a Full-stack PHP Developer, you’ll work primarily on implementing and maintaining back-end functionality within new and existing websites and web applications. You’ll occasionally be required to work on front-end projects, depending on workloads and deadlines. It’s essential that you have excellent PHP knowledge.
The main requirements of this role:
- Solid understanding of the complete PHP technology stack.
- Minimum of 1-2-years commercial experience.
- Passion for technology with the aptitude to pick up new technologies quickly.
- Collaborative with strong communication skills. Everything is a team effort.
- You're adaptable, happy working on projects of all sizes and scopes.
- Good appreciation of the infrastructure stack (networks, databases, applications, web, email, desktops, etc.).
- Clear understanding of HTTP, DNS, Git and SSL.
And you’d get some extra points for:
- Experience with AWS services.
- Experience with Craft CMS or Drupal.
- Understanding of Docker and Docker-compose.
- Being familiar with Jira.
- Knowledge of best practices such as unit testing, design patterns and SOLID principles.
The main responsibilities for this role:
- Working across the full product lifecycle, from initial fact-finding and user story writing through to design, deployment and beyond.
- Working with developers, designers, project managers, and other business stakeholders to develop high quality, maintainable, and scalable PHP solutions.
- Keeping up-to-date with the latest technologies and implementing them where appropriate.
- Identifying improvements to existing development practices, systems and infrastructure.
- Supporting, maintaining and upgrading existing websites and web applications where needed.
- Responding to support requests / issues.
- Managing own workload effectively and responding quickly to production issues.
- Contribute to frontend if and when needed, developing new skills as needed.
- Develop and test all work carefully to avoid costly mistakes.
- Work closely with the architects lead developer and product managers to build scalable, high-performance, futureproof services.
- Build efficient, testable and reusable PHP modules.
- Solve complex performance problems and architectural challenges.
Why should you apply?
- Being part of a talented, passionate and supportive team culture will accelerate your personal and professional development.
- Working on progressive, industry-leading projects with the freedom to push the boundaries.
- Transparent career progression framework.
- Flexible working options available.
- High specification MacBook Pro.
- Herman Miller Ergonomic chair and desk.
- Personal development budget.
The small stuff that matters
- Transparent development team roadmap and open involvement in our the company’s progression.
- Regular educational PHP events and social events.
- Office stocked with healthy snacks.
- Free barista coffee and tea.
- Drinks fridge filled with soft drinks.
- Monthly free team lunches.
- Childcare voucher scheme.
- Pension scheme.
- Free Parking
- Salary is dependent on skills and experience. This is a full-time, permanent role, based out of our Derby studio. Please note that we are unable to sponsor foreign-working visas for this role. [SALARY RANGE]
How to apply
Send your application to email@example.com with:
- A covering note explaining what attracts you to this role
- A CV outlining your relevant experience
- Examples of your recent work, ideally on GitHub
Please note: Strictly no recruiters.