We’re paving the way forward as an industry-leading agency. To support this, we’re looking for a Lead/Senior PHP developer to head up the development team in our Derby studio.
Burnthebook are a creative web design and development team with a reputation for creating digital experiences for our clients, connecting brands to their customers. We have a top-tier client list which includes SEGA, The United Nations, Camp America, The World Economic Forum and many more. Our studio is an exceptional working environment with enthusiastic, innovative and inspiring team members at its heart. If you’re a motivated problem solver with good teamwork skills and want to accelerate your professional growth, then we would love to hear from you!
As the Lead PHP Developer, you’ll look after a small team of developers while remaining very much hands-on. You’ll work on high-traffic sites, following best practices whilst also writing clean, testable code. You’ll have the opportunity to play a leading role in the adoption and architecture of new technologies across a range of projects, each of them challenging you with their unique technical requirements.
This role isn’t just about code: you’ll be involved throughout the project lifecycle, collaborating with our talented team of developers, designers and project managers to deliver exceptional web applications and websites.
The main requirements of this role:
- Expert PHP development skills.
- Enjoy taking a technical lead in projects and mentoring other developers.
- Creative approach to problem-solving.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Willingness to push yourself and others to deliver high-quality technical solutions.
- Experience contributing to technical strategy and delivering multiple infrastructure projects simultaneously.
- Good appreciation of the infrastructure stack (networks, databases, applications, web, email, desktops, etc.).
- Ability to work well autonomously and also as part of a team.
And you’d get some extra points for:
- Experience with AWS services.
- Disaster recovery and business continuity planning.
- Agile / TDD / BDD experience.
The main responsibilities for this role:
- Lead and oversee the development team.
- Drive the technology direction of the company and its software stack.
- Write PHP to a high standard, agnostic of platforms and frameworks.
- Contribute to project planning and estimating.
- Support our internal and community projects.
- Great coding skills and experience building MVC PHP applications.
- Considerate of performance, security, scalability and code reusability in all design decisions.
- Strong experience working with Apache, Nginx, Linux servers and MySQL databases.
- A desire to contribute to building an incredible business.
- A passion for self-improvement and personal growth.
- Lending a helping hand to the development team, where required.
- Maintaining a constant dialogue with the rest of the business to ensure all technical work is undertaken with a full understanding of the wider context and priorities in the business.
- Regular calls and face-to-face meetings with the team and founder to ensure the business objectives are delivered within a culture of trust and inclusivity.
Why should you apply?
- Being part of a talented, passionate and supportive team culture will accelerate your personal and professional development.
- Work on progressive, industry leading projects with the freedom to push the boundaries.
- Transparent career progression framework.
- Flexible working options available.
- High specification MacBook Pro.
- Herman Miller Ergonomic chair and desk.
- Personal development budget.
The little stuff that matters
- Transparent development team roadmap and open involvement in the company’s progression.
- Regular educational PHP events and social events.
- Office stocked with healthy snacks.
- Free barista coffee and tea.
- Drinks fridge filled with soft drinks.
- Monthly free team lunches.
- Childcare voucher scheme.
- Pension scheme.
- Free Parking
- Salary is dependent on skills and experience. This is a full-time, permanent role, based out of our Derby studio. Please note that we are unable to sponsor foreign-working visas for this role.
How to apply
Send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org with:
- A covering note explaining what attracts you to this role
- A CV outlining your relevant experience
- Examples of your recent work, ideally on GitHub
Please note: Strictly no recruiters.